About the Hall
Captain James T. Sutherland with
then-NHL President Clarence Campbell
The Original Hockey Hall of Fame
Founded by the National Hockey League and the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association on September 10, 1943 - Kingston's International Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum is the "Original Hockey Hall of Fame" and the oldest sports hall of fame in Canada. Captain James T. Sutherland of Kingston spearheaded the bid to bring the Hockey Hall of Fame to Kingston and was inducted into the hall in 1947 - one of the first forty members inducted into the hall during the Kingston-era.
Capt. Sutherland died in 1955 and never realized his dream of seeing the hall of fame built in Kingston. Fifteen years after awarding the Hall of Fame to Kingston, NHL President Clarence Campbell withdrew support in 1958 and Toronto was awarded the hall of fame. Despite a major setback, the Kingston organizing committee moved forward and the International Hockey Hall of Fame was finally opened in 1965 in a brand new building on the Kingston Memorial Centre grounds at the corner of York and Alfred Streets.
In 1992, an agreement was reached with the International Ice Hockey Federation to have the Kingston shrine become the International Ice Hockey Federation Museum. That partnership was abandoned in 1997 and since that time the Kingston hall has been known as the International Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum.
On January 1, 2003, we officially changed our operating name back to International Hockey Hall of Fame in part to help celebrate our 60th anniversary celebrations in 2003.
Board of Directors (2016-2017)
President - Mark Potter
Curator - Mike Postovit
NHL Frank Calder Trophy
Awarded in its inaugural year
to 1936-1937 recipient Syl Apps of
the Toronto Maple Leafs
A History of the International Hockey Hall Of Fame
1943 - Kingston chosen site of the Hockey Hall of Fame after City of Kingston initiative.
1945 - Mayor Stuart Crawford elected president of International Hockey Hall of Fame.
1947 - Provincial Secretary issues Charter to Hockey Hall of Fame under the Ontario Corporation Act (Sept. 17).
1961 - Mayor William T. Mills signs bylaw authorizing construction and management of Hall of Fame building.
1962 - $132,000 contract awarded by City for construction of the building at York and Alfred streets. Hockey Hall of Fame board contributes $70,000.
1963 - City Council grants $10,000 for purchase of equipment and furnishings.
1965 - International Hockey Hall of Fame opens doors for first time.
1977 - International Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum board assumes complete control of the building.
1987 - IIHFM asks Mayor John Gerretsen and City Council to appoint Task Force to study future of hockey museum.
1989 - Mayor Helen Cooper appoints IHHFM Review Task Force.
1991 - Three-way partnership between IIHF, IHHFM and the City of Kingston approved in principal.
1992 - Agreement in Principal reached with International Ice Hockey Federation to designate Kingston shrine as IIHF Museum.
1995 - NHL and Hall of Fame, Toronto, recognizes the IIHFM's role and promises support.
1997- IIHF withdraws from agreement.
2002 - City Council approves Phase One of Museum Tourism Network Study, including the International Hockey Museum.
2003 - The IHHOF board approves the name change to International Hockey Hall of Fame.
2003 - IHHOF.com web site launched.
2003 - William J. 'Bill' Fitsell and Mark Potter co-author a book on the history of hockey in Kingston to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Hall of Fame. The book; 'Hockey's Hub: Three Centuries of Hockey in Kingston', sold 2,000 copies.
2006 - Annual Historic Hockey Series, a series recreating the first hockey games played on the Kingston harbour in 1886, is moved from Kingston harbour to the new artificial ice surface at Springer Market Square
2010 - Hall of Fame commissions a mural at the Invista Centre to honour Kingston's Jayna Hefford; a celebration of her third Olympic gold medal for Team Canada won in Vancouver.
2011 - Don Cherry & Ron MacLean headline a sold out dinner for the Hall of Fame at the Ambassador Hotel, raising $50,000 for the fundraising drive to find a new home.
2011 - New website is launched: www.ohhof.com
2012 - After months of negotiations; a proposed deal falls apart that would have seen the Hall of Fame relocate to downtown Kingston in the newly renovated Smith & Robinson building.
2012 - Original Hockey Hall of Fame closes its doors at York & Alfred Streets, its home since 1965.
2012 - William J. Henderson Foundation makes a $250,000 donation to help support finding a new home for the museum.
2013 - Operating name for the International Hockey Hall of Fame & Museum Inc. is changed to the Original Hockey Hall of Fame and a new logo is unveiled.
2013 - Original Hockey Hall of Fame re-opens on the second floor of the Invista Centre on Gardiners Road
2013 - Don Cherry and local hockey dignitaries attend a luncheon to help celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Original Hockey Hall of Fame
2016 - New exhibits and a brand new look unveiled. William J. Henderson theatre is launched, screening a new Kingston hockey film; 'The Cradle of Hockey', narrated by Don Cherry.